Re: [Amc-list] Count

Frank,

No doubt you found out from a link John Elle posted, but 1967-1971 were the Rambler days in Iran.  Pars Khodro was "Jeep" first, "American Rambler" during the Aria (sometimes spelled "Arya") and Shahin era, then "American General Motors" and "Iran General Motors" when it assembled Opels, Novas, Buicks, Cadillacs and Chevy pick-ups --- during which time it continued to assemble Jeeps too.  After the Revolution, it switched to Nissan trucks, added Renaults (a later R5) and today sells both (from small to big and old --- VERY old, two gens back, Infiniti I30, to newest) and it has a [Farsi-only, of course] website you can inspect.  No history [of course] before the mid-'80s, though.

I suspect that GM cars and Jeeps actually continuted to be built for several years after the Ayatollah took power;
something, no doubt, they may be loath to admit.  They even built a Jeep "Sahra" (not Sahara) when Wranglers wore square headlights.  No ideas about that.

I have seen --- or may have --- a 1967 vintage Shahin photo: looks just like regular LHD American Rambler 4-doors!

I know that quite a few junky old cars are still on the roads of Iran, but I think "old" would be 1980s, not AMCs.

They have some old-car culture and some collectors of American autos, but you'll see more Novas than Ramblers now.

http://www.sasite.net/photo/classiccar/index.htm

Hope this helps.

John

PS --- My elders actually attended the 1967 Pahlavi coronation; I wonder if they saw any Ramblers running around?