Re: [Amc-list] Re; is this common?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The way he described it they broke just as he started loosening the first bolt.  But I'll check with him again this evening.

When both are tight and the cast aluminum bridge is down tight
on the head, when you loosen one the other is under HIGH stress
if a valve is open. I'd back the bolt out one turn or so. Then
loosen the other one turn. Once you've they're both slightly
loose, the bridge can tilt slightly against one bolt when you
loosen the other. Lather, rinse, repeat.

That initial crack-loose is where they're most likely to break.
Once they're up a few turns it's less likely, but having a cast
aluminum part trying to hold a valve closed is an obvious lose.

The stamped steel ones merely bend, but that's a bad idea too.
Go slow; whatsa hurry?