Re: [Amc-list] 1970 brake specs?

79 is the only one I don't have in the 70s now! Only 77 and 78 are the
three volume (plus some supplements!) types. For a complete list of all
TSMs see http://nashparts.com/Techman/techman.htm. The 50s manuals are
thinner, an inch on the thicker one, and in two volumes -- body and
mechanical from 52, with Rambler and Auto trans (Hydramatic, B-W autos
are in the mechanical volumes) as different books. There is no 59 TSM,
just a supplement to the 58 TSM. That was par for the course on earlier
ones -- the next earlier full TSM set is 1955, with supplements issued
for 56 and 57. There's a 50 set and 52 set, supplements to the 50 for
51, 53 & 54 for the 52. I have a 52 set, but not the supplements for 53
& 54. I have a 55 set and all the Rambler supplements, but not the
Hudson and Nash supps.

I think Marc Montoni mentioned in an earlier post on the brake balancing
device fiasco a week or so ago that the federal government was meddling
in the brake engineering arena in the late 60s/early 70s. That likely
has a lot to do with all the mish-mash of parts in that time-frame.
Rather than just specify minimum stopping distances for weight or size
of vehicle (or just a minimum standard period!), they thought they'd
specify specific equipment and brake types and sizes. We all know one
size DOES NOT fit all! Someone finally figured that out -- issue desired
requirements and let the manufacturers figure out what it takes for each
model to meet them!!

Here's some useless trivia for you.

TSMs after 77 are hard to find for some reason. There are
some three-volume years (77 - 79?). I just got a scroungy '82,
which is back to one volume.

1962 big car is HUGE! By far the biggest single-volume book. 63
is a good half inch or more thinner. 62 has odd things like
lists of the transistors in the radio. 62 looks like the best
TSM AMC made that Ive seen so far, though I haven't seen 1950's.