Re: [Amc-list] radial rotary engines...

Just in case, I should define what I mean by radial rotary. A standard
radial is where the engine block, cylinders radiating out like spokes,
is bolted to the plane, the propeller is bolted to the crankshaft, and
the prop and crank spin. A rotary radial is where the crank is bolted to
the plane, the propeller is attached to the crankCASE, and the prop,
along with the crankcase, cylinders and all, spin around. It's quite a
site, but I thought unlikely for use in a motorcycle. I have seen a
rotary radial in a car, a five cylinder, the whole thing spinning around
in a sheet metal shroud behind the seats, between the rear wheels. It
was a 191x something, from back in the heyday of rotary radials. Check
it out if you're ever in Reno, it's at the National Automobile Museum
(formerly the Harrah collection). It's interesting to see how all the
design features we take for granted today weren't always standard. They
have one car with the driver in the center, another with the driver in
the back seat. Wild...

Keleigh

PS. Come to think of it, I have seen a small rotary radial mounted
inside a motorcycle wheel, so that the cylinders formed the spokes, and
the crank was the hub. That was probably from back in the 'teens as
well, but I don't remember.