Re: [Amc-list] F('ing)ailing parts 1

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It's not a new problem.

Yeah, I don't like unknown suspension noises either!

> I've seen balljoins on one side fail in 10-15,000 miles and others go 200,000!
> I once drilled the top on a squeaky balljoint, inserted a needle and proceeded to grease the squeaky balljoint. Imagine my surprise when the stud walked completely out of the balljoint!

This one was in no danger of falling out, luckily.  The top
socket half is stamped; this one had a crack across the
top! You could tell it was made that way; I never noticed it
when I installed it.  The crack did not appear on the inside,
and there was no extra wear in that area. It looks like bad
heat-treat, hot stamped too cold, something like that.

> It took almost no pressure to cause this to happen. I'd done the standard tests for play and the joint had checked tight with no play. The service manager had suggested we drill it and put a zerk in it as it was "only noisy", Uh, I was young, a lesson learned. If it is noisy get it out of there! I think the only thing holding it together was the rust!

This one was always weird. The final straw was the last time
I went to grease it, the greasegun pressure went WAY up, and
stripped the zerk out!

You can hardly even buy good parts anymore it seems.