[Amc-list] Re; I believe I have a 1969 German Javelin

[Amc-list] Re; I believe I have a 1969 German Javelin

Joe,

Snip
John,
If you subtract 100,000 from 331137, that would mean
the it was the 231,137th car ordered for 1969 and it
could very well be a Kenosha car.
Snip

Well,----duh,----yuh,----- I knew that!-----this is a test isn't it, boy
did I blow that one.
And of course that "sold" number may not include vehicles assembled for
government applications and contracts.

Snip
I believe that you are correct about the badging.  The
owner should look for clues to the foreign badges.
Weren't the didn't the Karman Javelins have a Karman
badge somewhere?
Snip
I really do not know on that, there is so little public information on
AMC's involvement in overseas marketing that what I have picked up over
the years is almost rumor. Not to mention in some cases what was
published or alluded to really did not happen that way. What little I am
aware of in most cases and that would be with Chrysler and AMC mostly is
they had special packages when they dealt with other countries and the
mostly included some form of a manufacturing agreement that included
knock down kits shipped out and assembled locally with a percentage of
local content required to avoid certain tax situations. Ramblers
assembled in I think Belgium by Renault had local content interiors
which ended up with some really striking and pretty interiors for
example. But I know very little about the mechanics of getting things
put together. As off shore marketing was a separate division in most
cases, the needs and the requirements were different and not necessarily
in line with and compatible with US/Canada marketing and sales. That is
one of the reasons the DeSoto name hung on longer off shore, it was a
popular and well respected name and included commercial vehicles and
trucks thus it behooved the off shore marketing people to carry the name
out longer and in different markets than that which took place
stateside.  I think for the most part AMC's influence on the automotive
market was minimal as they could not compete on fuel economy on one end
of the scale nor compete with affluence on the other end of the scale. I
think Karmanns 1969 production was 250 Javelins, period. What else if
anything I really don't know. Myself I would think that they would carry
a Karmann Badge some where and a local content/Vin number for the
purpose of registering the car as "made in Germany" rather than subject
to import tax.

Snip
The B engine code indicates it's a six cylinder too.
Didn't all overseas cars have the 343?
Snip
On one hand that may be the situation, however on the other hand cars
that did not get any form of decent gas mileage also did not get any
form of market share either thus if I had to answer the question for a
million dollars I would hazard a guess that the full line of engines
were offered in one form or another. But-----that could very from
country to country.
VAM, as I understand it, in Mexico manufactured their own engines (based
I believe on AMC parts and bits and pieces) but consisted of some rather
large displacement I-6 engines with low compression for maintenance
purposes and to deal with the really lousy gasoline of the time. There
are people still looking for the late '60s T-10 Mexican bell housing to
put a T-10 behind a 71 or older I-6 engine.
And yuh, the Vin indicates a 232 I-6 with automatic I think.

John