[Amc-list] Got RM?

So Rambler Mentality is "RM" today?  Now AMC will be as marketable as ADHDA, BPE, ED, and RLS tomorrow!  Entire issues of "Hot Rod" will be devoted to RM-ing Kenosha motors and Chip Foose will build RM Classic retro-rod wagons.  The self-anointed ubercool will go gaga at Gremlin and the '61 and '74 Ambassador will go green at Pebble Beach.  Al Gore will save the planet (or eat it, as a comic said, in Oscar afterglow) and during two terms of President Hillary and two of President Barack, Toyota will buy Chrysler-Jeep from Magna or Chery and reintroduce the "AMX" name as a fuel-cell sports car assembled by aliens on the moon.

Paris's great-granddaughter will drive drunk (with LED lights off) and "Excess Hollywood Infotainment Tonight" will show her $2.5 million neo-Marlin being winched onto a flatbed.  Anything is possible --- all it takes is a dollar and a dream.  "Active" and "bizarre" and "vivid" and "memorable" are used to describe REM, er, RM sleep.  So dream some big dreams!  Turn Coronas into Crown Majestas!  Drink Coronas and dream of AMC!  You can turn RM into the pharma-phree panacea dear old AMC needs.

RM will be a big thing.  Like parking your Azera beside a new S550 and singing, "I've got that RM feeling!"  Like wearing your cashmere scarf from Wal-Mart into Paul Stuart on Madison Avenue.  And like being told, "That's an AMC??  I thought it was a Buick!!" --- back in '71.  '77 LS never came to life, but '54-'87 RM can live forever.  If you can dream.

It's 56 or 57 because we don't know how to tell the difference
and we're too lazy to lift a book.

This is a loaded Ambo. It has A/C! Not sure if it cools, but
compressor runs and is not seized. Packard V8!
<<

Whether or not it (352; 1956) cools, it's cool.  Someday it will be the object of many a cool-car collector's RM dreams.  It will fly high like the funny '56/'57/'58 Hawks.  Silver or Golden.  Studebaker or Packard.
Look to the future.  Learn from the past.  Profit from learning.  Read, read, read.

Read "How Toyota Conquered the World" and take heed.  In just 40 years, it did the opposite of AMC.  One grew bigger and more profitable and it plans how to thrive in 100 years.  One grew smaller and less profitable and it couldn't even survive for 50.  One prepares for a world when oil has been depleted (or rendered unusable because of its carbon content); the other lurched from pillar and post to hardtop and convertible, from Pacemaker and Pacer, from Rambler to Renault, and from riches to ruins during one of those "Golden Ages" of American motoring.  Toyota intones vaporous aphorisms.  Some make sense to Americans.  "Build quality into production."  Some are understood like, well, posts by Y. T.  "Open the window, it's a big world out there."  The best is the simplest.  "Never be satisfied."  Not, "Never read."

Cars and parts are the subjects of your RM list dreams, but without car culture (or art or economics or marketing or history or whatever it may be in the realm of dream), they're just metal, glass, and rubber chunks that consume time, space, and money.  A Plymouth Breeze is not a dream; it's something to be forgotten, to be embarrassed by, or to be crushed.  A Plymouth Barracuda is something to be remembered, to be impressed by, or to be caressed --- ad infinitum.  Can we repair and restore cars we don't read about?  We could, but we're not too likely to.  Can we love cars we don't know intimately?  We could, but such cars are dream cars.  Can we own any dream cars?  We can, if we can make them into RM dreams.  We are the dream makers.  We are responsible for creating the next 100 years.  If we don't read and write, we won't need cars and parts.  AMC won't need Chrysler or Daimler-Benz or GM or Toyota to conquer a place in the old-car memory.  AMC will be "What's an AMC??  I'
 ve never heard of that!!"

A 1-2/07 AA letter asks, "Are there any other American cars around?"  American Motors Corporation cars, that is --- one model of which was advertised as "The Smile Car."

Are you smarter than a fifth grade AMC lover?

Are you planning to be a Toyota in 100 years?

Smile.  You're the future of American Motors!