Re: [Amc-list] New lifter old cam

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > i once back-of-the-envelope figured that if we could come up with some
" > kind of hydro roller setup for the 4.0, just converting the stock cam
" > to a roller profile would be good for something like 20hp.
"
" Well there you (I) go.
"
" I forgot about the profile changes needed to accomodate the
" flat tappet business.
"
" So if there's 20hp going into scraping cam lobes over tappets,

it's not just friction, it's also the ramps and area under the lobe
you can have with rollers, even with comparable lift and duration.

" that's probably a major cause of oil shear molecule damage. (I
" realize heat is the major oil damage source.) I can't think of
" another thing in an engine that produces forces like that, the
" rings are next closest. Everything else has thicker films. The
" short of it is that rollers could incidentally improve oil
" (and therefore engine) life overall.

these are good points, but iirc by far the major source of engine
friction is the pistons sliding up and down the cylinders.