Re: [Amc-list] Head rebuild cost

Mark, he's not in by-God-West-Virginny!!  He's in the big city!! ;>

Seriously, check the Internet for "machine shop prices" and see what you
come up with. The prices Justin quoted are a little below average. It's
not cheap to rebuild anything any more! That's why you see more crate
motors and thrown away cars.

One thing I didn't mention -- there was no charge for magnafluxing the
head. NEVER get one of these old things rebuilt until that's done! $50
to do it, but if a crack is found you just saved $200-$300 rebuilding a
bad head. 196 heads that have been run hot several times are bad about
cracking. This is mostly due to the fact that they run hot due to a
blown head gasket, caused by the head not being re-torqued at least
every other year (15K miles or every other year, whichever comes first
-- and every year won't hurt!).
THIS IS IMPERITIVE MAINTENANCE ON THE 195.6 OHV!!!