Re: [Amc-list] This is a Rant

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, JOE FULTON wrote:

>   What an abortion of a
> design.  Shame on the engineer who developed this
> abomination.  May a pox be on him and anyone who
> approved this design.

let me rant with you how much I hate the Hornet (etc) door
design.  The hinges are crap. The bearing surface is a cheap
piece of bronze in a shear made of the two hinge halfs; of course
it wears out in a few years! The bearing surfaces should be BIG.

The window frame gets torqued by the seal, and chronically
facture where they join the door body. SUCKS! Made worse by
worn hinges.

Stress transmits down the skin to the FRONT end of the window
frame; pulling door closed with your hand on the outside skin
(window rolled down) flexes the front stress point and it
fractures the sheet metal in a hard-to-repair way. SUCKS! Made
worse by worn hinges.

At least the '70 doors are lighter without the side-crash
stiffener bar. (Ahh, suffer for fashion.)

The bracing I added inside the door to minimize the flexing
didn't work. BWOFT.

Don't tell me about maintenance -- I do maintenance. The hinge
design sucks.

I haven't taken those fasteners off but you have my sympathy.