Re: [Amc-list] 71 Headliner Material Needed

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:00:54 -0500
From: "Thomas, Jeff" <jeff.thomas@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] 71 Headliner Material Needed
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
Thanks for the help on the a/c parts yesterday.

Has anyone been successful in finding or duplicating headliner fabric on
the 71 Javelin or Javelin AMX ? Seems like the 68-70 cars owners have
resolved this dilemma with a few vendors offering services. If anyone
has a reliable source please let me know.

TJ

Once again Jeff Kennedy has some replacement material in his 06
Catalog I picked up at the Dayton, Ohio AMO meet last year, since I
needed the phone number to call him the other day off it. It's still
laying here on my desk.Jeff lists a black vinyl headliner vinyl (for
recovering the existing shell)  for $69 for part number IN575  that
covers 68 to 72 Javelin. I'm going to have to start sending Jeff a
bills for doing ads for him. If you need any other color but black,
it's vinyl you can paint it. This all assumes you have good formed
fiberglass headliner shell. If not that's another problem entirely.
The AMXs have an ABS /fiberglass hard shell replacement. Not perfect
,but at least it does not beat you on the head, like the originals
when it comes loose and your driving down the road. What was used in
this period by AMC for headliners was a fiberglass bat shell with
thin foam glued to it and the vinyl seat upholstery glued to the
foam. AMC used the good vinyl Naguhyde brand vinyl and you should
still be able to get similar color and pattern Naguhyde. I've yet to
run into a shop that would put the seat vinyl on the old headliners
myself. They all want to sell you what they have on the shelf. But
it's a job best left to headliner /upholstery shop that does this
every day. You can do it your self, you can even fix the old
headliner and reuse the old material, but it's very time consuming
job as you have to remove all the old foam and glue and results
depend on how good a job you do. Best left to pros with money handed
to them.  LRDaum