Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

Re: [Amc-list] Removing dents in Stainless trim

Tom,
Armand is correct concerning stainless in the industry world. When working with paper making machinery we used a lot of 316L Stainless Steel for the wet end of the machine (where the paper started as pulp). In the shop we had to be careful of how it was treated, ie. no contamination from tools previously used on mild steel. Even in the weld area there was concern of the dust from weld and grind just landing on the stainless. After the machines were installed and before startup the stainless went through a chemical treatment to "clean" everything for this problem. So, I can understand where Armand is coming from and not sure if it's the difference in types of stainless that makes the difference for the automotive application. I do know that a lot of patience is required to tap the dings out of trim.

Tom Jennings wrote:
Well, two years later -- in rain and after being washed --
no side effects. I dunno where the idea of iron embedding
in stainless would come from. Stainless CONTAINS iron, for
one. Two, it's a highly polished surface, embedment would be
at the macro-molecular level, not chunks big enough to rust!
Hard stainless isn't very soft, or porous. It's just not that
touchy or sensitive a material or environment.

There's always brass wool. Hard to find. It's great stuff, I
need to mailorder some in fact, with some bras