[Amc-list] Larger holes for pushrods

Shrews,
The larger diameter pushrod hole you are experiencing is a common AMC
condition that is easily resolved with AMC or after market pushrod guide
plates.  I had a set of 74 401 heads on a 69 AMX 390 with roller rockers and
it had the guideplates installed under the rocker arm studs.

The guide plates are a fairly inexpensive piece of flat metal with holes
aligned for both the rocker arm studs and the pushrods.  In older model
50.6cc heads from early 1971 back to 1968, the pushrods guide holes were
precision machined into the head to keep the pushrods aligned with the
rocker arms. In the lower compression 58cc heads from late 71 forward, the
pushrod holes in the heads were larger and thus required the guide plates
under the rocker arm studs to be installed to keep the pushrods aligned with
the rockers.  They are required for both the newer roller rockers and most
stock  AMC late model heads and rocker arms.  I suspect AMC switched to this
design to reduce frictions and improve lubrication for the pushrods in the
guide area.  In the old "in cylinder head" pushrod guide design, if the
engine got too gunked up or the oil coked up from lack of regular oil
changes, the pushrods could get jammed in the pushrod guide holes in the
heads which would bend the pushrods and cause the engine to run poorly or
create a valve to be stuck open or closed which would either give you a dead
cylinder or even worse a valve and piston collision..neither a good thing.
The new design eliminated that potential problem.

I have a 75 360 on an engine stand in my garage and will pull a valve cover
today to see if I can find a part number on the guide plates.  You may also
want to go the AMC Forum and post an inquiry to see if anyone has a set they
are willing to sell or if one of the vendors like American Parts Depot sells
them.  I am sure any decent performance shop can get them as well.  The
machine shop that built assembled my 460 HP 390 put them on that motor which
is currently in my 68 AMX.  The other alternative is to simply go the a bone
yard and find a Jeep with a 360 or 401 and pull the guide plates off of
those heads.

By the way, roller rockers should also require the guideplates due to the
end of the pushrod resting against the roller on the roller rocker which is
even less able to hold the pushrod in place than the indent on the stock AMC
rocker arm assembly.

Regards,
Dan Curtis
d.curtis@xxxxxxx