Re: [Amc-list] t14 t96 swap in '63 American convertible

Re: [Amc-list] t14 t96 swap in '63 American convertible

If the T-14 bolts to the T-96 bell and the bearing retainer fits snugly
in the bell housing hole, there should be no problem that can't be
overcome.

The pilot bushing should work as long as the diameters of the input
shaft tips on both trannys are the same.

How much longer is the tip of the T-14 trans than the tip of the T-96?
Is the overall length of the input shafts the same or is the T-14 shaft
longer? Measure from the trans to where the tip that goes into the pilot
bushing starts on the T-96. As long as the tip on the T-14 starts at or
before that point, you're okay. Might be okay if it starts a little
after that point, but I can't say for sure. If the shaft of the T-14 is
longer, measure the depth of the pilot hole in the 196 crankshaft. As
long as the tip doesn't bottom out in the hole it will be fine. If the
tip does bottom out but everything else is good, trim it off with a
cut-off wheel or hack saw, and then chamfer the cut edge with a grinder.
Just cut it back a little more than absolutely necessary.

I had to do that to a T-96 to mount it behind a 72 engine -- or rather
crankshaft (shaft is in my 4.6L stroker). The crank came from an auto
engine, and apparently the pilot hole wasn't quite as deep as the 196
pilot hole. The shaft just did bottom out in the hole, so the clutch
never fully disengaged. Had to trim 1/16" off, but took 1/8" to be safe.