Re: [Amc-list] Frame-up facts

>> Huh? Unless you're counting Jeeps, AMC never made a full frame car.
Or you're counting "Preeps" --- AMC's M-422,

More commonly known as the "Mighty Mite" air transportable Jeep, built
for the Marine corps in 1959. Just going from memory here, but I think
it was in production for 2-3 years after 59. I seem to recall that note
from "The American Motors Family Album", but memory is sometimes
fallible! Sources indicate 3,922 were built
(http://www.m38a1.ca/m422.html). AMC might have used the air cooled V-4
in a car, if it had been big enough. It was only 108 inches (1.8L), 52
hp, 90 lb/ft of torque. Hardly big enough for anything but the
Metropolitan.

>> The last of the full-frame cars rolled off the Nash lines in 1950 or
51.
If they did, they were super laggards; last full-framed Nash was a 1948.

Was using cerebral storage unit again... see memory statement above! If
they ever come out with "bio-memory" for a computer, DON'T BUY IT!! ;>

>> "Monobilt" might not mean "separate" but it still is called a
"frame."

Ironically, the early Nash and Rambler unitized cars are *almost*
"monobilt". Look under one -- rails from front to back. But they are 18
gauge folded sheet metal rails, not 1/16" (or thicker) pieces of stamped
steel. I *believe* the Hudsons were built by assembling the frame THEN
welding the floors and body on, not pretty much all at the same time as
a true unit body is made. The frame with suspension was a stand-alone
unit, albeit a flimsy one, until the floor and body was welded on. Some
GM cars (mid 60s GTO/Tempest and such) have heavy frame rails for the
suspension with flimsy sheet metal rails tying them together. Flimsy
frames that wouldn't stand up to much without the body bolted to them.
So Monobilt" is "semi-unitized" construction...