Re: [Amc-list] 74 AMX

A 74 Amx will have a number "8" as the sixth digit of
the VIN number.  I think the model number (on the
driver's door tag) will also end with a dash 8, but
I'm sure about the 8 in the VIN number.

AMXs were available in 1974 with any of the V8s from
304 2-bbl through the 401-4bbl.  You can see color
charts for the 1974 AMCs (and thousands of other cars)
buy referencing www.autocolorlibrary.com.  The 1974
AMXs and Javelins were pretty much carbon copies of
the 1973 cars, so there is nothing particularly unique
about the 1974 model year, that I'm aware of.  I think
the front and rear bumper guards were increased in
size to escape or try to comply with the 5-mph crash
requirements that year.

1974 I think also was the only year for the infamous
seat belt interlock which would not permit the car to
start unless there was pressure (like a human butt) on
the driver seat and the seat belt was fastened.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA