Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

The Aussie EFI intake with the runners curved over the valve cover MIGHT
fit in a 58-63 American without removing the hump, the carb intake
definitely won't. There's only a couple inches difference (estimating
from the pics), but that's enough! Take the outer barrel off the carb
intake and it would fit. The left to right placement of the two barrel
carbs is what I found that prevented using a modern four cylinder also.
I didn't find one that placed the barrels front to back and a bit closer
to the head. Since they all used progressive linkage the side to side
mount works better. The early 2.3L Ford used progressive linkage, but I
don't recall if the barrels are side to side or front to back. I do
recall the intake doesn't stick out as far as later, better flowing
ones.

The early American engine bay is tighter side to side than the early
Mustang/Falcon/64-69 American. That engine barely fits in a Mustang bay.
The header shown on the Ford Six site won't fit either. I'll haveto
check, but I seem to recall the engine bay as being 23-24" between the
suspension mounting points. It gets wider above the upper control arm
mounting points, but the distance between the humps is only a couple
inches more at the peak of the hump. The humps stick out at least two
inches from the rest of the inner fender panels. Cut the humps at just
the right spot and you can weld the inner panel to the outer without
adding metal (I THINK...), but I'd add a piece anyway for strength.