-----------------
Date: Monday, January 15, 2007 09:15 AM
From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>

I'd try the speedometer cable first to fix the needle problem. My 68
American had that exact same problem when I got it and it was solved
with a new cable.

Your shimmy may be nothing more than out of balance (or bad) tires.
Drums can also be out of balance but that's not as common, you can check
for this by looking at the lip around the outside edge of the drum to
see if there's a spot where a weight used to be. Bad shocks can also
contribute to this and will make vibration from out of balance tires and
drums more noticeable.