[AMC-List] Re; Crossover heat

Jim

Snip
I'm slowly, as money allows, putting together the parts for a "hot"
engine.
I've been looking at the Edelbrock heads, but am confused as to which
version is appropriate.

They come with or without the heat crossover.

I have a choice of intakes gathered already: R4B, Torker, Offy 2x4
Anyway, what do ya think?

Jim Boone
Snip

As long as you have asked for opinions here is mine.
Jock is probably the most qualified person to answer this question with
his extensive
back ground and experience.
However,
My choice for the intake manifold is the Edelbrock Air Gap manifold, I
have run one a
few years now and I am completely satisfied with it. Having stated that,
the air gap
manifold does not have any exhaust cross over provisions the head choice
is automatic.
The one with out the cross over passages.
While I agree carburetor icing can be a problem when you least expect
it, the last time
I had that problem was on a 1960 Ford I-6 pick up in the middle 70's
when I lived near
Rochester N.Y. and then it was only one winter. It looked really funny
to see the
accelerator linkage enter a snow ball under the air cleaner.
For more than a few years now I live where the temperature gets into
triple digits along
about March and drops out some time in October. It very rarely gets
below 50 here during
the winter. I do not have a problem with engine warming up, drivability
or anything else
related to cold weather driving. Also the carburetor does not get
excessively warm and
lean out like it did with a non-air gap or stock cast iron manifold.
Carburetor tuning on
using the Edelbrock air gap manifold is no different that tuning on a
stock manifold.
I am using the parts on a 1970 390 cu in engine in a Mark Donohue.
In any case that is my experience and preference.
Pays your moneys and takes your chances, but have fun.
John.