[AMC-List] God Bless the Dremel Tool

Today I was reglueing the rear window trim on my 77
Gremlin.  If you recall in 1977 AMC restyled the rear
of the Gremlin and made the rear window larger, but
they put a thin metal band of trim around the window.
Evidently the adhesive was not good because I have
seen a service bulletin with instructions to re-glue
it when loose.

Anyway mine had been reglued in the past, probably by
a previous owner with silione sealant which had since
failed.  Sloppy job too.

To properly clamp the trim for re-glueing I had to
first remove the window.  But there are unusual
carriage type bolts with flat heads and three
indentations which requre a special wrench.  After
struggling with pliers awhile and teaching the
neighbors dog some new words, I retreated and took a
short nap.  Then I got the idea to cut a slot in the
shaft of the bolt and hold it with a screwdriver while
I removed the nut (similar to an upper shock absorber
removal procedure).  Out came the dremel and I cut the
tiny slot.  Then after removing the window and using a
single edged razor blade to remove much of the
silicone on the glass, there was a thin layer of old
adhesive, like tape that the razor blade wouldn't
budge.  Besides there was adhesive on the under side
of the metal trim pieces.  So I put a tiny wire wheel
on the Dremel and removed the adhesive from both
surfaces with no problem.

It sure helps to have the right tools.
And when doing fine work, a Dremel is often the right
tool.

Have you hugged your Dremel today?

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA