Re: [AMC-List] My new 88

A: I get rid of the slow cold engagement with a can of STP engine oil
treatment. Seems to be about the only thing that stuff is good for! (quite a
few owners on the FSJ list have used it for both 727 and TH400 as have I)

From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] My new 88
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Keleigh Hardie <keleigh3000@xxxxxxxxx>

Yeah that makes sense.
Probably explains why the slow engagement is not as bad if you
start them, put them into drive for a bit then go to reverse.
  We saw a lot of high mileage cars go that way. I'm not a real
trans guy the shops around here used to have one trans guy. I've
done a few, but it's been a long time now!

Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net
Morgantown, WV

---- Keleigh Hardie <keleigh3000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Oh, durr, I just reread you original post. The problem I found
in my
>U-Pick-Em 727 would have produced the same slow engagement of
reverse,
>eventually taking out top gear as well, particularly when
cold. The
>sealing rings between the pump and the D+R clutch drum are
probably
>wearing out, with grooves worn in the drum as well. Once
warmed up, it
>will usually hold enough pressure to engage the clutch (D+R=
direct +
>reverse). It'll gradually get worse. Unless it has a modified
valve
>body, it's best to put it in neutral for warming up, full
fluid flow...