Re: [AMC-List] Jeep Cherokee (Was Hot Rodding Is Dead)

Re: [AMC-List] Jeep Cherokee (Was Hot Rodding Is Dead)

" Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Jeep Cherokee (Was Hot Rodding Is Dead)
"
" If any repairs are done to this Jeep, make sure you check out the
" converter as this setup had a habit of cracking the snout on the
" converter and tearing the pump up. It's an expensive fix as the
" convertor is a XJ only item and no other vehicles used it. Last time I
" heard they were getting very hard to find in good shape or to locate
" replacements of any sort.

a word to the wise.  maybe have the tranny checked out completely
while you're at it.

"    I'd likely look into swapping it out for four cylinder driveline out
" of a YJ or XJ as this would be the easiest swap.

if you had the -complete- drivetrain from an xj it might be easiest,
but if it's injected you'd also need the harness, ecm, and fuel tank
with pump...  a yj wouldn't have the tank or driveshafts in the event
the t/c gets relocated - or probably usable mounts either.

" The 4.0L is hard to
" swap into the pre 87 as the hood and core support is not going to allow
" the 4.0L in and the factory hood latch to work. I've heard reports the
" pre 87 has a different firewall too, but I'm not sure anyone has
" actually proved this is true. I know of at least one 85 that had a 258
" put in it and the guy did not have any firewall issues and use hoodpins
" for the hood. He started by mounting the trans and transfer case then
" just made his own engine mounts.

maybe the engine ended up farther fwd than the stock 4.0 setup?

"   The Dakota V-6 would be a good swap too either the 3.9 or the 3.7
" should fit well and be a big improvement over the 2.8. Hey, why not
" 4.7 ???!!!!!!

i was thinking an early dak carbed 3.9 and non-electronic tf would
minimize the thrash involved in swapping.  the 3.7 and 4.7 are efi
only and would come with trannies longer than the original 904.  this
starts to ripple through the drivetrain...

if you want to get nutball, the new hemi should fit as well as the
4.7; it was designed to have the same envelope.  or, if it had been a
stick with a t5 [they used t5s and ax5s apparently interchangeably],
beef the tranny - essentially put the jeep mainshaft and extension
case on a ford svt 7003z box - and drop in a caddy pushrod 4.9.  i've
heard mcleod has a flywheel for this.  afaik you can use the jeep
bellhousing!

btw there are now two z-code t5s - the original with 2.95 1st and a
new one with 3.35 1st.  both are rated at 330 ft-lbs.

" " " ---- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
" > " From: "Jamie Smith" <oconner51@xxxxxxxxxxx>
" > "
" > " From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
" > "
" > " >" From: "Jamie Smith" <oconner51@xxxxxxxxxxx>
" > " >"
" > " >" I've added a new vehicle to the flock. I have just acquired a 1985
" > " >" Jeep Cherokee Pioneer.
" > " >" []
" > "
" > " It has the v6 and auto tranny (don't know what tranny that would be).
" >
" > that would be the chevy 2.8 and tf904.
" >
" > " The previous owner said it runs but leaks oil real bad and has no power.
" >
" > you have a golden opportunity to replace the 2.8 with the gm 3.4 crate
" > motor.  it's made to replace 2.8s in s10s and takes all the
" > accessories and manifolds [carb included], but i don't recall if it
" > has a fuel pump or not...  you also can't use the flexplate since it's
" > for a 700r4, but you can remove the balance weights from your original
" > and use it.  this is 50-state smog legal but even if it wasn't it runs
" > clean enough and passes visual [duh!]
" >
" > or if you want more power, you could take the 3.9 v6 and tf999/32rh
" > from a dakota and swap them both in.  i think novak has mounts for the
" > 3.9 if you don't want to fab your own.  this should also be legal as
" > long as the donor is newer than your jeep, and iirc all daks are.
" > Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
" > internet rambler                            is to see what all have seen
" > adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none thought
" > AMC-List mailing list
" > AMC-List@xxxxxxxxxxxx
" >