[AMC-List] Mobil Oil Economy Run -- 1964

[AMC-List] Mobil Oil Economy Run -- 1964

The "economy run" was a marketing pissing contest too. At one time in
the late 50s the Rambler was all but banned -- it was put in a special
compact class. The other manufacturers (except for Studebaker!) didn't
have effective competition and were always trounced. But then Chevy was
entering a 235 powered stripped down Biscayne as competition for the
"full size" 195.6 OHV powered Rambler Six. So I really don't blame the
others for complaining. When they started making competing products they
were quick to enter them in the Rambler's though, and were usually
trounced (as in 64)!

People forget just how economical some of the 60s cars could be.
Viland's near 28 mpg is far from typical though. That was a 195.6 OHV/1V
car equipped with OD, with extensive use of the free wheeling feature
(which helped a lot more than the higher gear!). He was also a trained
and experienced economy driver -- hardly average! The average driver
with the same car would be lucky to average 23-24 mpg on the freeway,
with an overall average of closer to 20 mpg. Of course bigger vehicles
were lucky to get 18 mpg on the freeway, so there's still a big
difference.

I wonder how a 170 (or even 225) slant six powered Valiant with OD would
have fared compared to the 273 V-8 -- and the Rambler. The V-8 was new
in the 64 Valiant, and touted as "the lowest priced V-8" -- probably why
they ran it. The 170 put out 101 hp, the 225 145 hp, compared to the
195.6 OHV output of 125 hp.

I'd like to see something like an economy run for new cars too. Seems
like it would be a great marketing tool, especially for the winners. To
make it more fair, there could be a complete listing of specs for the
vehicle and it's performance. Actual weight, size and power of engine,
avg. fuel mileage, time to complete course/avg. speed -- those are the
minimum specs I think should be published for every car, classed in size
and/or weight categories so that "apples are compared with apples" --
only cars marketed against each other are compared. I think the overall
winner should be the one that gets the best mileage in the shortest
time. That would put a nice twist on the competition, and take a lot
more skill. Cars would have to be right off the dealer lot and sealed
against modifications. No synthetic oils or anything special unless all
come from the factory that way. Would be interesting over a cross
country course! Maybe limit the run to 200 miles, one tank of gas.