Re: [AMC-List] 360 Heads on a 304

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Bruce Hevner wrote:

> If you HAVE to keep the 304 I would recommend getting a machine shop
> familiar with hi performance head work to swap in a SLIGHTLY larger set of
> valves and do a radius seat valve job. I think there are some chevy valves
> that would work with a change of guide diameter from 3/8 to 11/32. Sorry I
> can't remember specific sizes, chevy intake valves come from 1.720 to 1.940.
> I think a 1.840 MIGHT work without cutting the block.

I had this done on the 304 in my 75 Gremlin. 1.94" intake,
1.55" exhaust, Brand C parts. No block/piston adjustments
necessary. Economics were such that good Chevy valves were
cheaper than AMC replacement valves. Labor was of course where
the money went.

No part numbers, but info and photos here:

http://wps.com/AMC/gremlin-motor.html

(The notes say I was converting it to LPG, but I never did.)