Re: [AMC-List] E-stick

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> It looks and sounds more complicated than it is. Poor vacuum and oil
> pressure would kill it before a bad switch. At least from what I
> remember (will have to look over a TSM again!) a bad switch should be
> obvious -- like grinding going into a gear or something. For
> deceleration the servo compared engine vacuum with oil pressure. The
> amazing thing is the engineers managed to make it all work without a
> speed or motion sensor, they extrapolated that MECHANICALLY with vacuum,
> oil pressure, and shift lever position information only!! Smart guys...

Oh yeah, it's not a stupid system. It's pretty damn clever,
failsafe, etc. The only real shortcoming is one common to older
lower-cost systems: one thing performing two functions that has
"side effects".

Oil pressure is a signal (engine speed) and hydraulic power for
the clutch; the latter makes is sensitive to worn motors. If it
simply controlled the energy from some other source eg. remained
only a signal, it would have worked better, but cost a lot more,
eg. add an electric motor servo to slave the clutch to it.

At least, the way it dies is de-clutched, which is better
death-on-the-side-of-the-road than clutch always engaged.