[AMC-List] overweight Americans

MODERN MOTOR CAR (May 1950) says that the new 1950 Rambler
weighed approximately 2400 lbs. I assume they got that number
from Nash propaganda (doesn't say).

My 1970 Hornet (1970 American) weighs about 3000 lbs. I will
drive it to the truck scale one of these months.

The 1973 Hornet ("american") weighs 3200 lbs; crash bars
in the doors, floor? bracing, other Fed safety stuff.

Just how different is the 1958 Rambler ("American") from the
1950? Motor is the newer flathead, probably about the same
weight. Maybe the hard roof allowed removin bracing needed
in the 1950 (though seeing how we're talking about 1950, it
probably just flexed).

The American got longer and longer, so that accounts for some
of it. But where's all the weight?

Anyone have a breakdown of actual (not ICC shipping tariff)
weights of AMCs in the 1960's?

Check out this interesting page ...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1991

			(And WOAH! check out that cool
			sculpture! Pretty much sums up what I
			think modern cars are trying to look
			like, Porshe to Hyundai).

... says  "But, in 2001 (the last year where I could find
applicable data), safety equipment accounted for only 125
lbs. of an average vehicles total weight. Its risen since then,
but even if you double this figure its still a far cry from
the over 900 lbs. increase over the past 19 years."

"Just ten years ago, sunroofs, automatic climate control
and sat nav systems were restricted to luxury cars. Today,
all these toys are available in the most basic econobox, and
a “necessity” in any car with upmarket pretensions. Extra
goodies, extra weight. No wonder the two-door Honda Civic has
porked-up nearly 400 pounds over the past 10 years."

I bet the writer is over 50... :-)