Re: [AMC-List] What's it from/for Metropolitin swap???!!!

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Tom, that would be APU (auxilliary power unit). They are
> used in aircraft (including larger helicopters) to provide
> starting power and ground power in remote locations or for
> short periods. I've seen a few. They produce hp at very high rpm
> as Andrew pointed out -- no useable torque, and a very narrow
> power band.

The guy who said his friend stuck one in a bike, took the thing
apart and used the turbine and gearbox. That's the key to these
things -- they have a gearbox that brings shaft speed down to a
few K Rpms for the alternator. I saw one with one cover removed
(not much of a view though). The turbine is really small,
the APU is 1/2 jet, 1/4 gearbox, 1/4th alternator (vaguely).

I agree, without the special gearbox it's uselessly high rpm.