Re: [AMC-List] What's it from/for Metropolitin swap???!!!

Re: [AMC-List] What's it from/for Metropolitin swap???!!!

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Mark Price wrote:
"
"
"
" I just (weeks ago) looked at, and drooled on, a military surplus
" power unit (GPU?) that's a multi-10KW electrical generator
" driven by a very small jet engine. The WHOLE THING is a fat
" suitcase, sat 32" x 32" x 24". Including the jet engine,
" gearbox, generator!
"
" Apparently they're around 100hp. Someone I was with stuffed
" the motor from one into a motorcycle.

i always wanted to make a turbine bike, ever since i learned of these
little engines...

" Suuure would be a nice fit in a bathtub rambler! 100hp ain't
" much, but it's 15% more than stock, and the damn thing would
" run on kerosene.

transmission would be the problem.  turbines have a very flat
speed/power curve.  my solutions would be either electric or
hydrostatic.

no difficulty making a small pm field 100hp alt that could run at
turbo speed, though the 100hp motor [or 2 50s or 4 25s] would be
rather bulky, especially on a bike...  power efficiency is very good
though.

a variable displacement axial piston swashplate type of hydrostatic
pump/motor setup is also very flexible though not as efficient as
electric drive.  the pump could be smaller to minimize the amount of
gear reduction needed from the turbo and the motor could be larger to
minimize gear reduction needed to the wheels.  control system needed
to make it fully automatic doesn't sound very difficult, even
hydromechanically done.  this might be compact enough to work in a
bike...