[AMC-List] Re; An old song is a good song?

[AMC-List] Re; An old song is a good song?

Snip
it is my understanding
that internal or external balance is a decision made by the designer.
Even the legendary Chevy small block which is internal balanced as I
understand, the 400 cu in version of it is externally balanced leaving
one to do some extra work when installing a 400 crank in a 350 to make
the popular stroker 383 due to the external balance configuration of the
400 crank, as I understand it.

yeah, but comparing a v to an inline is an apples-and-oranges thing.
Snip

Yuh, agreed, but it seems to me that I compared a commonly available
engine with multiple
parts interchangeability that can be found as both internal or
externally balanced depending
on the displacement of the thing.

That should make it an apples to apples comparison, or maybe a sour
grapes to sour grapes to
some.

The point being, as far as I know there is nothing particularly magic
about the number of cylinders
and whether it is internal or external balanced.  A design feature which
is most probably a decision
made by whomsoever designed the thing.

In either case if one intends to do some major modifications on an
engine, determining what means
Is required to balance it should rate right up there in some of the
first pieces of information to
find out. Knowing before you install and tighten the last bolts how it
should be balanced and the
precautions required to avoid bolting together parts that will lend
themselves to creative
self-destruction could possibly avoid some expensive, embarrassing
moments.

John