[AMC-List] 258 engine balance and flexplate

[AMC-List] 258 engine balance and flexplate

I had the transmission of my daughters 83 Spirit (258,
auto) rebuilt in Aug 05.  In Jul 06 it had to be
rebuilt again (under warranty).  It failed again a
week ago with less than 7K since the initial rebuild.
THe tranny guy is trying to blame it on a bad flexpate
(even though he can't detect any warpage.  A new one
is $120. plus he's charging me another $297. for the
rebuild kit and telling me he's doing me a great favor
cause the warranty (1 yr, 12K) has expired.  I called
the local machine shop and they said if the engine is
internally balanced they can check the flex plate but
if it's externally balanced they can't.  I plan on
having the old flex plate checked (if possible) and,
if it's ok I will be doing what it takes to get my
money for the rebuild refunded.  The guy at the
machine shop seemed very skeptical that the flex plate
on an auto would cause the tranny to go.  Comments?
Is the 258 internally or externally balanced?  Thanks.
Marty