Re: [AMC-List] Jeep axles in AMC cars?

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" It does state that "wheel to wheel" (mounting surfaces on drums?) width
" of the narrow track Wagoneer (SJ) D44 axle is 58-59". The wide track
" axle is 61-62", which would make it 2-3" narrower than a 63-66
" Classic/Ambo axle (tread width on those is about 63"), and that should
" make it a good fit for an American. CJ AMC 20s are 50.5" narrow, 54.5"
" wide track. No width for the SJ, but they should be the same as the 44.
" The XJ/MJ axle is 60" or 60 3/4" wheel to wheel, and it's the same width
" as AMC Eagle rear axles. It's known to be 2-3" wider than a
" Hornet/et.al. axle, which is about the same width as the American.

according to my old stack of car&driver annual new car issues, rear
track on the '65-6 classic and ambo is 57.5".  rear track on the
american is 55.5" and the hornet et al axle is the same as the early
amx and javelin, 1.5" wider than the american.

the only axles i've found so far that match the american are the
dart/valiant, of which the most desirable are the '73-6 8.25" from
disk brake cars [already 5x4.5"] and the circa-'70 +/- dart/barracuda
383 8 3/4", which is 5x4" and would have to be redrilled.  all these
mopars use 1/2-20 wheel studs, but -lh- thd on one side.  amc gave
that up in the '50s.

i know this isn't the same as flange-to-flange width, but backspacing
of 3 3/4" on a 6" rim doesn't add up to much offset, and in those days
most had even narrower rims with less backspacing.

backspacing on eagle/cherokee/wrangler rims is 5.25", and that does
add up - 3" more than 'normal' rwd rims, total.  that's how they got
that almost 61" axle under the hornet body.

" Now if you wanted to tub the car a little they would be great! You would
" be better off with a FSJ rear end, that would be an AMC 20 w/one piece
" axles, but you'd need to have the hubs redrilled for 5x4.5" bolt pattern
" (it's 5x5.5" stock; w/HD 3/4 ton and 1 ton models using 8x6.5"). The

i'm fairly sure those hd rears were dana 60s.

btw cj amc20s are also 5x5.5" but iirc two-piece axles just like cars,
so presumably you could just slap 5x4.5" car hubs on.

" The big Ford Bronco seems to have 62" wide 9" axles! Check though. If
" it's a 62" axle that might be a good source for Ford 9". I'd check the
" pickups too -- the big Bronc was F-150 based, I'm pretty sure of that.

yes it was, just as the original chevy blazer and dodge ramcharger
were.