Re: [AMC-List] Fuel Injecting the big dogs

A: My thought with the 196 was to get extra intake plates made and weld
bungs in them so the ful injectors pointed at the intake valves. A minor bit
of porting to allow room for the spray to get around the air streaming in
(like the Renix "notch") and use smaller Ford injectors (like 4.6L V8 ones)
and use Jeep system to run it. (I have a complete harness from a '90 XJ 4.0L
I parted that I was going to use in my '84 J10, but I have decided to go to
HO system for ease of wiring and dialling in the LPG EFI system)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Fuel Injecting the big dogs
To: <tomj@xxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hmmm... just use a 1V (2.5L four) computer setup from a GM,
substitute
the YF for the stock TB. The GM 2.5L TB flows more than a YF
though. At
least the butterfly is a lot bigger. Just based on the butterfly
size
the GM 2.5L TB flows more than a Carter WCD 2V carb. The GM TB
is
something like 2.25" in diameter IIRC. It's been a long time
since I
toyed with the idea of using one on an AMC engine. It would work
well on
a bored out 1V intake and give a little more power than a BBD 2V
-- but
the main gain would be driveability. A long six really needs
injectors
at each port.

Someone (Jim?) mentioned figuring out how to inject a 196. The
1V TBI
would work great, but the side of the intake "trough" could be
directly
drilled and tapped for injectors. If the computer wouldn't
object only
four would be needed since cylinders 2-3 and 4-5 have siamesed
intake
ports. I wonder if one could just connect two sets of wires to
one
injector (with diodes to prevent feedback)? Those two injectors
would
get a lot more use than the other pair, but shouldn't be a
problem. With
a batch fire system it should work, sequential would depend on
how close
the siamesed injector cylinders are in the firing order. Of
course two
injectors could be installed side by side. This would work for
the
L-head too. Now that would be something -- a port injected
flat-head
six!!

There are Stromberg carb body based TBs out there now. One of
the hot
rod supply companies made them for two and three deuce setups on
flat-head Ford V-8s.