Re: [AMC-List] Blasphemy

Another one of easy to find engineS I would consider in the dare to be
different category would be the 4.7 Used in many late model Dodge
products.
Good strong running motors you can pick up cheap. Plus overhead cams and
you
can even use the 287 fender badges :]
  My DakotaQuad cab 4X4 knocks down a solid 18-19mpg and runs excellent.
In a car body it would make a nice all around runner.
   Not something I would ever do, but I'd like to see one done!

But why not? There is strong evidence that the design of the 4.7 was
heavily influenced by AMC/Jeep engineers. It's even possible that it was
already on the AMC/Jeep engineering drawing boards for future
production, just like the first generation Grand Cherokee. It has more
in common with GEN-3 AMC V-8s than with any Mopar engine (the oil pump
in the timing cover is the most obvious commonality with AMC GEN-3 V-8s
-- no Mopar has that). It's the closest thing to a "GEN-4 AMC V-8" that
there is, unless you want to consider the (expensive) aluminum block
engines such. I don't because they are low production specialty blocks,
not regular production. Being able to use the GEN-1 287 badges and be
honest is just a plus. I'd definitely use one of these engines if it
came up at a good price -- you can probably buy a wrecked or well used
GC with one cheap enough to use it as a donor vehicle.