Re: [AMC-List] Just FYI, Someone harvested our e-mails from the list :(

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Arfon wrote:

> Subject: [AMC-List] Just FYI, Someone harvested our e-mails from the list  :(

> Here was the spam's header-

That's a bummer!

I can assure you it was not from the amc-list.com
archives. How? That list below contains defunct email addresses
that are NOT in the current amc-list [I checked], and WERE in
the list we got from the old list software on Jim's system.

There still seems to be some confusion (not you, Arfon) about
how the list is arranged.

* There is the "AMC LIST" that arrives in your email inbox
as email.

* There is the AMXfiles archive that you read on the web at
www.AMXfiles.com

These two sites are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. AMC LIST runs on
industrial-strength mailserver code called Mailman on a
well-secured linux server.

The AMC LIST archives have all email addresses
obscured. For example, this month's archives kept
by Mailman (and it's partner program, pipermail):
http://www.amc-list.com/pipermail/amc-list/2006-November/thread.html
Note that no easily harvestable email addresses exist there.

www.AMXfiles.com however, leaves email addresses visible in the
archives, for example at http://www.amxfiles.com/archive/. I
have no control over that. That's Jim's software. Its really
nice, but was written back when the internet world was more
friendly and a lot less mean-spirited.

When we moved the AMC LIST from the old software, on another
system, to the more modern Mailman system, the apparent number
of AMC LIST members plummeted from 1200 to 600. This was because
half the list was bad or defunct email addresses! The new system
was able to determine this, and purged them out in the first
weeks of operation. (It also was able to revive good ones,
and we regained a few older list members!)

A half dozen or so in Arfon's example spam header were bad-purged
or no-longer-with-us addresses (some I didn't have to look up; I
remembered them from manual cleanup operations post-switchover).