[AMC-List] My J-10 Adventures!

I recently bought a 1983 J-10 Townside truck with a 258 six, T-176 four
speed manual trans, and NP-208 hi/low range transfer case, stock 2.73
gears and stock size tires/suspension (no lift!!). The purchase was made
from a guy in Woodside, NY (on Manhattan Island, just east of NYC -- a
suburb of NYC) via e-bay. When the bidding topped $2000, I called the
previous owner. It was his first experience selling something on e-bay
(the other reason I called...). He was very personable and gave me lots
of info on the truck. It has some "minor rust" (for a NYC truck), and a
lot of rebuilt parts over the last 2-4 years. All the u-joints,
including the front axle joints, had been replaced, the transmission and
transfer case were rebuilt, and the clutch replaced while those were
out. I've never driven a four speed that had such a nice positive "snap"
into each gear as this one does!

It was used for a snow plow for the last 12 years, that's why the trans
and all needed rebuilding. Only light use for the last 3-4 years though.
I had one heck of a time removing the snow plow frame due to all the
rusted bolts! The PO left the controls attached, just kept the blade and
hydraulics to sell to a friend. I got a nice aluminum camper top in
"trade" for the snow plow. Might have got a little for the plow, but
didn't want to drive three hours with a blade on front (or in the back).
The camper shell won't be used much, but might come in handy (he'd
intended to sell the shell separately).

It runs okay, had a little over 95K on it (a bit over 96K now!). There
is a skip at speed, found out that was a bad plug wire after driving it
down to SC with a load. It performed pretty good considering that, a
leaky exhaust (I tack welded a new turbo muffler in before going, the
muffler on it was badly rusted out), and the approximately 800# in the
bed (a 14 hp 38" cut riding mower and 120# vice) and at least 1500#
trailer (trailer and load) I was towing! I discovered that the intake
manifold also has a nasty vacuum leak while I had it in SC. It started
whistling after warm up under high vacuum conditions! No time to fix
while I was there.

Drives okay, definitely needs new shocks! The four speed trans and steep
gears (2.73) work pretty good. With the load and vacuum/exhaust leaks it
takes a little feathering of the clutch to take off on a grade, but that
should improve dramatically once the leaks are fixed. Only had to use
low range once to take off on a grade. On a level it works fine. It
drives like an early 80s Ford four speed where fourth is overdrive
though. If not running 45-50 mph there's no point in using fourth gear,
though it will run okay at 40 mph with no load on a level in fourth. Any
acceleration or hitting a detectable grade requires a down shift. If the
t-case were synchronized for on-the-fly shifting it would be a perfect
set-up. As it is you really need to stop to shift from low to high,
though I've been told it can be done with practice with little grinding.
I tried once, don't think I'll be practicing! With a load I'll use low
until I hit a level then stop and shift if necessary. Has manual locking
hubs, so it effectively has a low range 2WD mode as well. I might get a
little muddy locking the hubs, but prefer this to automatic hubs or the
vacuum axle. Those require a little forward or backward movement to
lock, and I have had one (a Comanche) that wouldn't move enough to
engage the front wheels before. Four wheel drive is useless when it
won't engage! When I put in in 4WD I want all four wheels to move!!

The plan is to replace the exhaust manifold with a Renix tubular
manifold I think I have in storage after I retire from the USAF in June
(left the truck in SC and flew back to DE). All the smog equipment has
been removed and it appears that an earlier BBD (maybe from a Chrysler?)
has been installed. I didn't take the carb off, but could find no plug
for the stepper motor wiring, and a lot of wiring has been disconnected.
I'll be removing the no longer used wiring also. I'm also going to look
for a used 4V intake and Holley 390 cfm carb, or maybe a Weber. If I get
a good deal on one will go that route instead of installing the extra
Renix EFI system I have stashed at home, though the EFI might be the
better way to go. Requires a bit more thought! A 4.0L head would be nice
also...

Anyone have a 4.0L Jeep for parts? If so let me know what you want for
the head pipe. Must be in good condition where it bolts to the manifold,
and at least 12" back, prefer 2'. I'll have to have the rest made up,
but the factory piece fits better to the manifold than something a shop
makes on site.