Re: [AMC-List] Weird non-running issue on '82 Jeep CJ

Re: [AMC-List] Weird non-running issue on '82 Jeep CJ

Just another aside to Jim Blair: You asked about the power valve on the
MC2100... I don't know if the 16" Hg measurement I quoted was correct,
I only know that there was a "1 6" stamped on the side of the valve,
with no other markings, and took that to mean the level of vacuum at
which the power valve would open. Could be 6", I don't know. In order
to find out whether it was flooding out at that problem point, I'd
probably have to hook up an O2 sensor and watch the meter as I
feathered it in and out of that range, and see if it jumped suddenly
rich or lean.
I'm starting to think, now, that the problem is partly the carb and
partly the engine, since the Carter sorta does the same thing too, just
not so radically. The cam is a 252h from Comp Cams, which is listed as
a 'mild' cam, with a slightly longer duration and 4* advance designed
in. I recall setting the timing chain gears to 3* advanced too (not
knowing about the cam), so I may be just running out of vacuum when the
carb needs it.