Re: [AMC-List] 72 232

" From: "L. D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have a chance to buy a 232 from a 72 Gremlin, would like to put in
" my 64 American, can someone tell me if it will bolt up to the
" Automatic in my 64 American.

yes and no.  starting in '72 the sixes had a v8 bellhousing pattern,
so you can hook them together with a '67-'71 rebel 290/304 converter
housing [yes, 2bbl v8s were used with aluminum warners] and flexplate
with the balance weight removed [eg. neutral balanced].

but there's another problem.  does your upper radiator support have
the zigzag in it like the '65s?  they added it so they could move the
radiator forward ~2" [reversing the mounting brackets] and squeeze the
232 in, and even then they used a short water pump seen on no other
amc but also used on '65-'74 jeeps.  finding the pump wouldn't be too
hard, but finding the pulley...

there's someone who's putting a jeep 4.0 into a '64 but its serp belt
setup is -very- close to the block and i believe he's planning an
electric pusher fan in front of his radiator.