Re: [AMC-List] Pacer trany

To see for sure if the trans is a lockup, drop the pan and look on top of
the valvebody for the "S" shaped tube about 5/16" diameter (average pencil
size). No tube means no lockup. Also, if you have the torque converter off,
there is a deep hole (about 1/3 the way up the shaft into the trans) in the
middle of the input shaft on lockup trans. Hole is only 2" or so deep on
non-lockup. (fluid travels up the hole to the lockup clutch in the
converter)
   As for upshift, 27 mph to drive is normal. Lockup shouldn't engage till
42 mph (and I put the replacement spring in mine to make it lockup at 52 mph
for towing). When the lockup was going bad in my Eagle, I dropped the
valvebody and put a large (well, about 5/16" diameter) ball bearing in the
tube to stop the lockup. In hindsight, I would rather have put an electric
lockout I could manually control on the tube so I could keep the fuel
economy and freeway speed when I wasn't towing, but I had planned a 727
upgrade anyways.
   With what I know now, and AW4 would be going in there! (I even have one
from a '95 or '96 XJ with only 60,000 kilometers on it sitting on my for
sale stuff shelf as I ended up with a motor trans combo I wasn't expecting
for my '84 J10)
  Speaking of AW4, the pilot bearing of my BA 10/5 in my '87 Comanche
started jamming last night and I want to get on the auto conversion, but I
STILL have the '92 Grand Voyager I've been trying to sell for $200 in the
garage I need! (I may end up having to fix it as a backup vehicle tomorrow!)

Jim Blair, Seattle, WA '84 J10 Black Jack (getting lifted and stroked!), '73
J4000 304/TH400/QT tow truck http://www.virtualjeep.com

AMC list subscription options link
http://www.amxfiles.com/amc-list/options.cfm