[AMC-List] Hemmings MM Alternator Article

[AMC-List] Hemmings MM Alternator Article

There is an article in the current issue of Hemmings
Muscle Machines on bench checking and rebuilding the
GM SI series of alternators.  Since these are often
recommended to replace the Motorola's in our AMCs I
thought this may be of interest.

One item new to me:  When removing and reusing an
alternator belt (or any v-belt I assume) mark the belt
so that you can replace it with the same direction of
rotation.  Otherwise the belt will stretch
unnecessarily, come off the pulleys, etc.

Ray Bohacz (sp?) the author also points out how the
quality of rebuilt or remanufactured (terms now used
interchangeably) alternators has suffered in recent
years.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA