Re: [AMC-List] Power Steering

" From: Don Johnson <donjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Some time ago, I added power steering to my 70 AMX, primarily, so my
" wife could park it.
" I got the pump, steering box and all the other parts and pieces from a
" 70 Javelin and the system works well, however, I've never been very
" happy with the "feel" of the steering. It seems over boosted, if that
" is the correct term.
" >From reading the list, I decided to change the pump, and bought a
" setup from a later model. This one has the smaller pump and supposedly,
" better road feel.

changing the pump won't do anything for feel if it doesn't change
pressure.  even if it does also change your pressure it will have only
a small effect on feel.  much more important is a torsion bar in the
valve assembly on the steering gear ittself.  thick bar, more feel;
thin bar, less feel.  bars range from 0.165" dia - which is probably
what you have - to 0.210" in police and iroc packages, in mostly
0.010" steps.

see http://www.chevelles.com/techref/shea_1.html and
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/shea_3.html for some ideas and info.