all others were optional.

Date: Sunday, October 29, 2006 09:44 PM
From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>

My J10 has the same trans and gears with a 258. Runs 1900 rpm at
60 in
4th.
Normal city driving uses 3rd a lot. 3rd in my trans is getting
noisey.
I've also used 4lo without locking the front hubs for low speed
maneuvering.
Shifting from lo to hi on the move gets a nasty crunch from the
transfer
case. I wouldn't recommend it as normal procedure. I have a set
of 3.31
diffs from a Cherokee that would help things if I ever get
around to
putting them in. :)
------------------------------

3.31 gears would bring rpm @ 60 up to ~2300, or drop you to 50
mph @
1900 rpm. Not bad, and I know you'd like the better pulling
power. I was
thinking a 3.08 would be sufficient -- ~2100 rpm @ 60. These
things
really don't like to cruise over 2500 rpm stock (65 mph w/3.31
gears),
but of course will. A better cam would help that, but I'm not
planning
on opening the engine anytime soon.  A small 4V would be nice,
and I'll
keep on the lookout for a used one. If I rebuild in 3-4 years,
provided
rust hasn't started becoming an issue, I'll build a 4.0L, maybe
even
another stroker. Might go ahead with a 4.0L exhaust manifold for
now...
need an exhaust system! Couldn't find a vendor with pre-bent
pipe for
sale though. Wanted to put it on myself and skip the cat.