Re: [AMC-List] 64 American (alternate to 196)

Re: [AMC-List] 64 American (alternate to 196)

My personal preference for any engine swap into the 64-65 would be the 4.0L based six. It has a lot of advantages over the older sixes.
A few off the top of my head.
Aluminum valve cover [they did go to steel in 90's]
Serpentine belt system [ignore the others here, run an elctric fan setup!]
Modern trans hookup is easy, AW4 overdrive automatic, or T-5 swap are good choices.
Easy addition of EFI if wanted. [not real easy, but worth the work]
Carbed intakes are failry easy to install also.

If your a hotrodder you can install a 258 Crank and rods and stroke it.
It will out perform a stock 290 or the 287 any day of the week!

If you want the original appeal
and a V-8 the 287 would make a nice retro swap. I'm hoping to do a 327 swap into a 65! If you don't know I already have the 4.0L, T5 combo in my 69 Rambler [American].

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net