Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" A: That would be @'91 and newer. Prior to that, the Dana 35 XJ axle (which
" shares the center section with Model 15) has the style where the backing
" plate holds the axle in. It's tougher to tell in car but if the whole
" differential is out of the car, you can see the axle tube is larger diameter
" at the backing plate to fit the bearing on earlier rigs ('84 to 08/90 and
" maybe more) I never got around to checking to see if the early XJ axles
" would swap with Eagle axles.

another clue you could see in the car: the c-clip axles have 9" drums;
earlier were 10".  [btw same 10 x 1.75" drums as amc v8s back to '73]

"    I do know you can bolt the whole XJ rear diff into an Eagle (I've done it
" twice) but the shock mounts need to be cut off and repositioned. If you keep
" an eye out for a parts Comanche, you may even find a D44 or Model 20 (you'll
" need shock mounts and new spring pads welded on to bolt it in)

i've heard that just as some early xjs came with amc15 axles, some
late eagles had d35s - from the factory.

the xj axle is wider than the usual hornet/concord one, but both xjs
and eagles use those deep-offset wheels.