[AMC-List] pulling an axle

Just slip the axle right back in. You may have to rotate it once it's in
to line the splines up, but that's all. Nothing else was supposed to
come loose or out with it. Don't know what Russ was talking about as far
as loosening the caps in the differential. May be required on a
different design, but all the AMCs I've pulled just come right out after
a good tug. Once you get the axle splines lined up (it will slide in a
little more) you sill probably have to put a block of wood across the
end of the axle and give it a couple whacks to seat it. Loosening the
caps as Russ suggested might make the axles pull out/push in easier, but
it's not necessary.

The only exception is the late model Cherokee axles -- they have C-clips
in the diff that hold the axles in, the backing plates don't. C-clip
axles require the diff cover to come off and the clips removed.