Re: [AMC-List] Six or Eight speed manual trans, anyone?

Re: [AMC-List] Six or Eight speed manual trans, anyone?

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I was looking through the Advance Adapters catalog and noticed something
" that might be interesting -- the "Ranger Torque Splitter". It's 7.5"
" long and fits between the bell and trans (Ford style trans, which should
" be the same as AMC). It has a 27% OD and is fully synchronized, allowing
" splitting all gears. The gear spread in most trannys wouldn't make it
" worthwhile to split all gears I'm sure, but it could be done.
" []
" Four speeds would be a problem, the four speed shifter
" would be moved 7.5" further back, between bucket seats.

bigger problem is that few 4sp have gears wide enough to split well
with a 27% o/d.  the wide ratio t170 series - t177? - with the 3.82
1st would barely do it.  overdrive toploaders would do well in 1st and
2nd, but the built in o/d is only 30% or 33% so splitting 3rd is out.

now a ford pattern t18 or t19...

" It would be interesting, but costs about the
" same as a Gear Vendors OD unit ($1504.20 plus shipping).

yow...  i think you could get a tremec 5sp for that much, certainly a
used one!  and the warner aftermkt hd t5 [ford svt 'z-code'] is only
$1100.