Re: [AMC-List] 196 ohv performance camshaft

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, M Walter wrote:

> Hello,and bless your little turbo flathead hearts.  And yes, it would be
> cool!!!   My goal is to get more power from my dual holley 196 ohv engine.
> It seems that one of my few options is to put in a performance cam.  A (dare
> I say it) turbo, sounds cool but I dont know what that does to the vaccuum
> advance or other vaccuum issues.  But that is not what I'm looking to do.  I

Well there's that... :-) But it's so easy for me to suggest
things, and have you do them for me :-) Send photos please!

> guess I'll have to start asking the engine shops about welding and grinding
> one. Yes, I'll send some pictures when I have it put back toghether again as
> Iam puttig in valves right now. THANK YOU   redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx

I agree, a hotter cam would be the practical path to more power
especialyl if you've got it apart already.

I'm serious on the pictures though. If you're rebuilding a 196
ohv, hardly anyone knows anything about that motor, pictures
and how you go about putting it together would be a huge boon
to AMC history and fellow enthusiasts.

If you get a cam ground, post the specs, who ground it, and
the grind number.

Take 100 pictures, you can't take too many. Buy a few disposable
cameras if you must. I volunteer to scan them & upload somewhere
if you don't have a digital camera and the desire to do all
that web crap.