Re: [AMC-List] performance cam for 196 ohv

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> what would you do for a hp clutch?

I really think very modest boost, for say 20hp, shouldn't stress
dead-stock American drivelines and would make the little car
quite drivable in modern traffic. If I recall, the flat 196 is
about 85hp; 20% more, or 102hp would be (1) a great improvement
and (2) cool as all hell and (3) not kill even the T96. Car
could remain otherwise 100% stock, and you could do it to an
existing engine in good working order. No mods except bolt-on
to engine or car.

I know the air-cooled M35 auto can take it; I've got one in a
Classic with a 232, 18 years and 200K? miles. It is only now
in serious need of a rebuild.

As opposed to building something from scratch, where I agree,
some care with engine internals, and a T14, etc, would be a good
idea. I imagine with the terrible (horrible!)  breathing that
old motor has, it would really respond well to boost.  Not so
sure the oiling system is up to actual performance though.