Re: [AMC-List] Coil and leaf spring questions.

A: The XJ and Eagle shock mounts are on the diff and reversed from each
other. (it takes minor cutting and welding to fix that and have a 1 piece
shaft diff) The MJ axle has no mounts on it. They are on the spring pads.
When I built my '87 Comanche to SOA, shock mounts were a minor prob. Since I
used an XJ axle, I just drilled the driver's side bracket and bolted a shock
mount on. I welded one on the pasenger's side. Eventually I will get the
early FSJ front anti-swaybar plates sandwiched in between the springs and
the diff, and use the anti-swaybar stud for my shock mount and torch the
others off.
   Maybe I'll get lucky before then and get the Model 20 rear axle I want
with 3.73 gears. (I'd have one today if I didn't have other expenses like
Canadian Thanksgiving and needing new 33/9.50/15 tires to worry about.
Costco has a sale coming up next week)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Coil and leaf spring questions.
To: <rtneyhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Russ, most coil spring companies don't even make "straight" rate
springs
anymore. I've always dealt with Coil Spring Specialties
(www.coilsprings.com), but others here have as good a results
with ESPO.
I'd order the new springs 10% stiffer than stock. At CSS you can
just
tell them 10% stiffer -- they have charts for the springs used.
That
will improve handling without affecting the ride to much, but
will be
enough stiffer to notice.

For the back you can add a leaf or get new leafs, but I'd get
the air
bag type helper/overload springs. That will improve handling and
allow a
lot of flexibility. They just clamp on. An on-board compressor
is nice,
but not necessary. It's best to replace the included
nylon/plastic lines
with brake line though. The plastic lines will leak over time,
and can
be hard to get a good seal with when new. I didn't find a
listing for
the Eagle on-line, but check J.C. Whitney or call others. The CJ
or
XJ/MJ (Cherokee/Comanche) model should fit though. These guys
seem like
a good place to start -- they carry Firestone (you'd want the
"Sport-Rite" kit) and Air Lift (ride control) brands. E-mail for
exact
application. It looks like the XJ/MJ kit is identical to the old
Eagle
kit -- they use the same rear axle. The XJ/MJ kit has an added
shock
mount to relocate one of the shocks. The shocks mount
differently on the
Eagle, the relocation mounts shouldn't be needed.