[AMC-List] Half a v-8

A buddy of mine had a 1963 Tempest he used to park next to my 64s when
he got the chance, one of mine had a 326 and the other a 389 (from the
outside they looked identical) and his had the half of a 389 4 cylinder.
Seeing them next to each other was always a hoot. The 4 cyl was quite
literally as if someone had just lopped off 1 bank and changed as little
as possible otherwise. It had some seriously weird castings and I loved
looking at that thing. It's on my list of engines I love and will play
with again at some point.

One thing I've always loved about both AMCs and Pontiacs is the common
external dimensions of the engines, it's a dream for engine swaps. I do
wish that they had kept a common flange though on the amc cranks for the
transmission fitment though, pre or post BW/Chrysler change over is a
pain in the butt. Pontiacs used different crank journal sizing for the
428 and 455 that is less of a pain but still sometimes is irritating.

Pontiac common blocks: 326, 350, 389, 400, 421, 428, 455
(301 is the only oddball and universally viewed as a boat anchor)

~J