[AMC-List] 1974 Javelin AMX sold for $37,400

Date: Friday, October 6, 2006 07:16 AM
From: Jeffrey.Bohler@xxxxxxxxxxxx

In Hemmings Muscles Machines auction section, it tells the story of a
1974
Javelin AMX, 401 4-speed, that recently sold for $37,400 at Russo and
Steele's Monterey auction.  I hope no one on the list actually paid
that,
but what I find interesting is that the article says that Russo and
Steele
portrayed that of the 4,9XX Javelin AMX's produced in 1974, less that 25
of
them were delivered with the 401, 4-speed combination.

Would someone please verify that this is false?  Anyone know how many
were
actually produced with the 401 4-speed?

I am thinking they abbreviated the description for the article, and that
maybe less than 25 were produced with the drive train, color, options,
etc,
that I might believe.
-----------------------

Under 25% 401 four speeds is most likely a fact. Only real driving
enthusiasts want sticks, and there aren't that many in the US, and there
weren't in the 70s. Drag racers prefer autos due to consistency and less
drivetrain impact. Since the mid 60s most cars produced in the US have
had automatic transmissions. In the early 60s most had three speed
manuals, with autos optional. Four speeds were always in the minority in
US produced cars, though sticks did make a bit of a come-back in small
to mid sized cars in the late 80s and the 90s. All full size cars are
autos, and most mid sized even now. Well over half of small cars are
automatics as well, probably no more than 25% are sticks.